[OpenIndiana-discuss] What to do with 4k sector SATA drives... All fixes are for SCSI drives only!!??

Sašo Kiselkov skiselkov.ml at gmail.com
Sun Mar 17 21:02:31 UTC 2013

On 03/17/2013 04:06 PM, Hans J. Albertsson wrote:
> Your counter-question baffles me a bit... but:
>
> Can you point at any part of that wiki page that actually deals with how
> to produce a 4kblocksize pool on a SATA, not a SCSI, drive that is
> actually 4k physical blocksize but reports having 512 bytes blocks.

I have a bunch of 4k WD Red drives, they work just fine (zpool created
with ashift=13 automatically).

> The trick of editing sd.conf shouldn't work on SATA drives, since
> they're not scsi, and sd.conf deals with SCSI harddisks plus some ATAPI
> CD/DVDs and such..
>
> Or am I missing something?

It will work, native SATA devices are handled through sd, since the ATA
translation layer makes them appear to sd as if they were speaking SCSI.

> P.S. I can't just test right now, since the machines are miles away,
> otherwise I would have just plugged the drives in and tested. I'd like
> to know more before spending a couple of hours on a possibly meaningless
> test.

Make sure your SATA controller is in AHCI (native SATA) mode, no IDE
(emulated PATA).

--
Saso