[OpenIndiana-discuss] How do I swiych from IDE to AHCI mode for my SATA disks, please vet my procedure!

Hans J. Albertsson hans.j.albertsson at branneriet.se
Mon Mar 18 17:14:46 UTC 2013

mirror.

The motherboard is in IDE mode for SATA.

This must now change, since I need to be able to accomodate disks of the
512e ilk, i e disks that lie about their blocksize, which really is 4k.

I think I should do the following:

On the running host, I make sure either disk can be booted, by doing the
installgrub things.

Then I reboot the machine on a live DVD. On the way up, I set the Bios
to use AHCI mode for the SATA disks, and boot the Live DVD.

 From the live cd I do, I hope this is correct! Please vet!

-------
zpool import -f rpool

( The -f is because I didn't export it on the running system, because I
couldn't, but I know it isn't active, I'm running off a DVD, see. But
how does "zpool" find rpool???)

touch /a

zfs set -o canmount=on,mountpoint=/a root/ROOT/OI-151a7

zfs mount rpool/ROOT/OI-151a7

devfsadm -r /a -Cv

bootadm update-archive -R /a

zpool export rpool

reboot
--------

After the reboot, if everything is OK I'm fine, but what can I do to
recover in IDE mode if all this breaks for some dumb mistake or error??

I'd like to ensure that disk number two remains unchanged until I know
AHCI mode works, so that I can either attach and resilver disk 2 if all
is OK or else reboot the Live DVD and recreate the IDE rpool from disk  2.

An alternative to devfsadm would be to erase the dev and devices trees
embedded in the rpool and copy the Live DVD /dev and /devices in.

And I suppose a new installgrub would have to be performed somewhere
after the dev/devices revamp and and before the bootadm