[OpenIndiana-discuss] How can one test in situ, and under OI, the physical blocksize a SATA disk actually reports??

Hans J. Albertsson hans.j.albertsson at branneriet.se
Wed Mar 20 14:54:41 UTC 2013

Hmm. I'm having problems.

I think I've followed the advice in
http://wiki.illumos.org/display/illumos/ZFS+and+Advanced+Format+disks

format returns
---
format> inq
Vendor:   ATA
Product:  WDC WD20EARS-00M
Revision: AB51
format>
---

the last few lines in my sd.conf look like
---
#
# The following stub node is needed for pathological bottom-up
# devid resolution on a self-identifying transport.
#
name="sd" class="scsi-self-identifying";

#
# Associate the driver with devid resolution.
#
ddi-devid-registrant=1;
sd-config-list="ATA      WDC WD20EARS-00M", "physical-block-size:4096";
---

but the checking command says:

---
root at klaus:/export/home/hans# echo "::sd_state" | mdb -k | egrep
'^un|blocksize'
un 0: 0
un 1: 0
un 2: 0
un 3: ffffff02d730b080
     un_sys_blocksize = 0x200
     un_tgt_blocksize = 0x200
     un_phy_blocksize = 0x200
     un_f_tgt_blocksize_is_valid = 0x1
un 4: ffffff02d74b49c0
     un_sys_blocksize = 0x200
     un_tgt_blocksize = 0x200
     un_phy_blocksize = 0x200
     un_f_tgt_blocksize_is_valid = 0x1
un 5: ffffff02e9b5d680
     un_sys_blocksize = 0x200
     un_tgt_blocksize = 0x200
     un_phy_blocksize = 0x200
     un_f_tgt_blocksize_is_valid = 0x1
un 6: ffffff02e8caf900
     un_sys_blocksize = 0x200
     un_tgt_blocksize = 0x200
     un_phy_blocksize = 0x200
     un_f_tgt_blocksize_is_valid = 0x1
---

Unless I first run "format" once and actually look at one of either unit
5 or 6, that mdb run only returns data for units 3 and 4, my built-in disks.

Why won't my horrible little machine obey the sd.conf entry???

NOTE: all the above is from copy-paste from vi or cat in terminal windows.

The WDC disks are in external ESATA connected Deltaco boxes.