[OpenIndiana-discuss] SMF retries count

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Tue Mar 26 11:37:46 UTC 2013

Hello all,

   I have a GlassFish app-server server with lots of classes which
takes quite long to properly shut down. It has self-registered
with SMF as a service instance ("domain1"), and that includes no
forced timeout for starts and stops (value is 0), but the method
script somehow enforces a 60-second timeout.

   So during an "svcadm restart", the service tries 3 times, for a
minute each, and fails. Upon the third failure, it is marked as in
"maintenance" and the restart is not attempted. The actual appserver
completes its shutdown properly some time after this.

   The question regarding SMF is whether I can increase the number
of non-instant but consequent failures that it can tolerate (for a
transient service) from 3 to a higher value?

   Alternately, does someone know where to bump the timeout for
GlassFish stop-domain action? ;)

Thanks,
//Jim