[OpenIndiana-discuss] Looking for capable notebook for OI and other OSes, small size and with real network.

Hans J. Albertsson hans.j.albertsson at branneriet.se
Tue Mar 26 19:16:15 UTC 2013

I've been looking at possible choices for a small note-book for OI and
some sort of Windows in dual boot, possibly even an ultrabook thingie.

However, I keep running into disappointments:

The biggest one is the apparent scarcity of proper high-capacity GB
wired ethernet.

Also, if I'd like to run such a thing under some Illumos based OS, I'd
have to think very carefully.

I sort of liked the Dell XPS 13 Linux Developer's Edition; small, full
HD screen, nice kbd, very thin and fairly large SSD disk.

But, running it under OI151a7??? I think that might be a bit unlikely to
succeed!

So, what advice can people give me on this subject?

The Dell XPS 13 is the right price range, around €1000.
The size is very nice, the screen is VERY good..

So, there's a nice exterior target type, but what if I absolutely
require to run OI and have a proper network connector, and PXE capacity?
And MUST run OI, with working wired network and graphics accel.