[OpenIndiana-discuss] Looking for capable notebook for OI and other OSes, small size and with real network.

Luca De Pandis lucadepandis at gmail.com
Tue Mar 26 19:47:24 UTC 2013

The main problem of that laptop is the graphics card.
http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/xps-13-linux/pd

Intel HD 4000 *doesn't* work on OI. Only VESA.

I've bought a Compaq CQ58-205SL with an Intel HD Graphics and OI is not be
able to use the graphics acceleration due the lacks of the Intel's i915
(with KMS) driver.

Only Solaris 11 is able to take advantage of my GPU, *but* i've a bad
experience with that (Xorg freezes very often...especially with Firefox and
Compiz, many glitches etc.). For a desktop purpose is quite unusable.

If you want to use a laptop with an Intel HD GPU, then the only viable
Unix-like OS is GNU/Linux.

For the rest...i don't know if Intel Ivy Bridge (3rd generation) is
supported by Illumos.
Probably, many peripherals won't work (especially wireless).

Best regards,
Luca De Pandis

Message: 8