[OpenIndiana-discuss] Dhcp woes, (was Re: Anyone using OpenIndiana in production?)

Edward Ned Harvey (openindiana) openindiana at nedharvey.com
Wed Mar 27 22:17:23 UTC 2013

> From: Jim Klimov [mailto:jimklimov at cos.ru]
>
> Well, at the time I documented this page, it worked (at oi_151a5
> timeframe, I believe):
>
> http://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/Using+host-
> only+networking+to+get+from+build+zones+and+test+VMs+to+the+Intern
> et

Yikes.

Thanks for writing that up.  But ..

I have two servers, and some reservations, and the config files are stored in subversion.  So at present, when I create a reservation for a new machine, I just edit one file (duplicate & modify a line) and commit.  Svn post-commit hook then verifies integrity, and deploys to the mirror.  Very easy.

I can't believe there's this new dhcpmgr, dhcpconfig,  several config files, some binfiles that I presume I can't read or edit...  3+ packages that need to be installed...

I'm sure it's very powerful, and maybe can even do what I'm doing *even* better.  But that's very complicated and more than I want to invest.  It's no wonder I didn't get it working.