[OpenIndiana-discuss] python 2.6.4 64 bit ?

Udo Grabowski (IMK) udo.grabowski at kit.edu
Mon May 6 15:11:10 UTC 2013

On 06/05/2013 16:06, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
> On Mon, 6 May 2013, Udo Grabowski (IMK) wrote:
>>     import multiarray
>> ImportError: No module named multiarray
>>>>>

>> Traversing /usr/lib/python2.6/vendor-packages, it looks like there
>> are almost no 64 bit packages installed. Is it possible to complete
>> the distribution so that at least numpy and its dependances are
>> available also in 64 bit ? For scientific stuff, arrays larger
>> than 2 GB are not so uncommon.
>
> Do you have access to the C compiler which was used to build Python?
> If so, you can build any needed extensions yourself.

Of course I can build anything by myself, but numpy is already in
python-extras, but not complete, so to enable 64bit I would have
to reinstall the complete numpy by myself (which the colleague
who needs that has done already). I think if packages are offered
by the system, they should be complete, otherwise it makes no
sense to offer them at all since users then have to reinstall
by themselves anyway....
--
Dr.Udo Grabowski    Inst.f.Meteorology a.Climate Research IMK-ASF-SAT
www.imk-asf.kit.edu/english/sat.php