[OpenIndiana-discuss] zfs file system recovery

Peter Firmstone jini at zeus.net.au
Sat May 11 15:17:21 UTC 2013

Stupid things I did recently, I made a bad situation much worse:

   1. Haven't backed up recently (busy put it off)
   2. Discovered 4 bad blocks on one disk in a three disk raidz, that
      had two disks running and one unavailable (later realised that
      scsi bus resets caused by the bad blocks had made it unavailable).
      I used format to repair the bad blocks.
   3. Not thinking, I replaced the unavailable disk with a new disk
      (should have just added a spare).
   4. The replacement disk resilvered.
   5. When resilvering was complete I shutdown and rebooted.
   6. The kernel panicked after rebooting.
   7. I exported the pool so I could reboot.
   8. Tried to import the pool, with the same result; kernel panic.
   9. It appears as though the replacement disk resilvering was
      unsuccessful, so now I only have two disks.

I'm still running Solaris 10 sparc, haven't upgraded yet.  I lack some
of the fancy zpool command line options that roll back transactions -F.

If I could roll back to an earlier zfs transaction, is it possible to
include the disk I removed and import the pool?

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Peter.