[OpenIndiana-discuss] Sonicle XStreamOS repo and XStream Desktop in progress

finid at linuxbsdos.com finid at linuxbsdos.com
Wed May 15 12:52:02 UTC 2013

Gabriele,

A company-sponsored illumos desktop distribution is very welcome.

Here are a few suggestions:

1. A graphical installer will make it a hit for new users. Users expect
one on a modern desktop distribution. If you don't have a gui installer
yet, check out PC-BSD's graphical installer.    Might be easier to port
it than code one from scratch.

2. Let's shoot for complete out of the box "it just works." That means,
I install it and start being productive without having to mess with
configuration files and other manual configuration that should work by
default. Think about those who do not want to learn how the OS works
before they can send email or interface with their friends on social
networks.

3. Excellent default physical and network security posture of the box.

4. Graphical tools that makes it easy for new users to make use of ZFS'
excellent features.

5. On the app side, being able to choose between OpenOffice and
LibeOffice is a good option, especially since their will be some feature
differences. This is minor, but you might want to not bother about pdf
readers. Firefox comes with a built-in PDF reader, which has rendered a
standalone PDF reader obsolete.

6. LXDE sounds good for a desktop environment, but have you considered
Cinnamon? It's one of the most popular ones we have around and because
it's built atop GNOME 3 technologies, it's not very resource intensive.

That should get us started.

Looking forward to the first public release, but if "outsiders" to take
a look at it before it hits the download mirrors, I'll be more than
happy to take it for a spin.

Thanks,

--
finid