[OpenIndiana-discuss] Cannot move a zone to another server successfully

Mark Creamer whitetr6 at gmail.com
Mon May 20 18:38:48 UTC 2013

Well, sort of. It definitely got me thinking in a different direction, I
found my mistake(s) and now I am able to finally attach and boot the zone.
So thank you very much for that pointer

The last thing (I think) I still am having trouble with is networking in
the zone. I had created a vnic on the new server, and made sure it was
named correctly in the zone config. I can ping the IP of the zone itself,
but nothing else. Not the gateway, not other machines in the same subnet.
The /etc/defaultrouter is correct, as is /etc/netmasks. I've tried halting
the zone, zonecfg -> remove net, then re-adding it again. The zonecfg
configuration is exactly like the one on the old server, the physical
interface is the same name e1000g0. The vnic shows up correctly in the
global zone with dladm show-vnic. Probably the best thing is to just delete
networking on the zone and set it up from scratch, but I must be doing that
wrong because that still didn't work.

How do I configure and enable networking on a zone that has just been moved
to a new server? (btw, the zone is halted and detached on the original
server)

Thanks

On Sun, May 19, 2013 at 9:48 PM, DormitionSkete at hotmail.com <
dormitionskete at hotmail.com> wrote:

> On May 19, 2013, at 7:27 PM, Mark Creamer wrote:
>
> > I've been trying for weeks to get a zone off old hardware onto new. Both
> > servers are running exactly the same OI release, 151a7. I have not been
> > able to find a document that I can follow and get successful results.
> I've
> > tried both an Oracle doc on performing the procedure on Solaris 11, and
> > another one here: http://unixhowto.filodownunder.com/?p=10. Neither work
> > for me.
> >
> > The error I'm getting is: ERROR: no active dataset
> >
> > I found an article Alistair wrote here:
> >
> http://blogs.everycity.co.uk/alasdair/2011/10/fixing-no-active-dataset-on-zone-attach/and
> > I tried the script in the article, but that returns:
> > Invalid dataset name. It's looking for the parent of ROOT but I
> apparently
> > do not have that path so it fails, which is probably the root of the
> whole
> > issue.
> >
> > In a nutshell here's what I did in case anyone can see what the problem
> is:
> >
> > 1. On the source server, I export the zone manifest and copy it to the
> > destination server in /var/tmp
> > 2. I halt and detach the zone on the source
> > 3. I tar/gzip the zone, copy it to the destination server, and untar it
> > there so that it resides in /datastore/zones/zonename just as it does on
> > the source
> > 4. I create a zonecfg, and edit it so the network vnic is correct for the
> > new machine
> > 5. I attempt to attach it on the new server, which fails.
> >
> > Maybe is someone can just tell me what they do to accomplish this, or
> point
> > me to a different how-to. I haven't been able to find anything else.
> >
> > Thanks
> > --
> > Mark
>
> Look in the "Troubleshooting" and the "Create a zfs filesystem as a
> container for build-zones" sections of this page.
>
> http://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/Building+in+zones
>
> Does this help?

Mark