[OpenIndiana-discuss] hardware recommendations for OI desktop system

Tim Mooney Tim.Mooney at ndsu.edu
Mon May 20 22:05:07 UTC 2013

In regard to: Re: [OpenIndiana-discuss] hardware recommendations for OI...:

> i am not trying to be overly caddy, but why don't you order one of each
> and let us know ;-)

I will certainly post my results; I previously supplied my current
workstation's spec to the Solaris HCL, though I don't believe Sun ever
incorporated it.

However, I'm only going to get one chance at this.  If what I end up
buying doesn't work for OI or one of the Illumos-derived distributions,
then I'll be forced to install Linux on it.  If that happens, it's a
lot less likely that I would be able to contribute anything to OI
in the future.

I work at a university that happens to value opensource and believe in
contributing back.  I personally have probably contributed hundreds of
patches to opensource packages going back to the early 1990s.  If I'm
running OI or an Illumos derivative on my desktop then the likelihood
of me contributing patches to upstream goes way up.

I have spent some time browsing the archives and I do realize that most
of the people on the OI list care mainly about OI as a server platform,
so it's possible this is just the wrong place to ask.  Despite some
background research, I didn't realize how splintered the opensource
Solaris community was.  Sonicle's XStream desktop might be closer to what
I'm looking for, so I think I'll ask over on their mailing list.

Tim