[OpenIndiana-discuss] samba with zfs acls and shadow copies

alka alka at hfg-gmuend.de
Wed May 22 17:33:28 UTC 2013

Why not using Solaris CIFS server?

It has a much better Windows integration than SAMBA
(Windows SID instead of Unix UID, Windows like ACL, previous version, AD support,
shares are manageable via Windows computer management).
It is also mostly faster and easier to handle.

Only problems I am aware:
- you cannot share regular folders (ZFS filesystems only)
- you cannot use the same credidentials for other services like netatalk (supports uid/sid only)
- some special settings like veto are missing
- SMB3 support only in SAMBA (I do not care about)

SAMBA lacks these features even in Linux, why do you expect them in OI ?
But current packages is a must have.

I really hope, that the "reboot OI effort" has success.
I moved nearly completely to OmniOS but miss the desktop environment
- even a server needs usability -

There is a reason why many people use Apple or Windows server.
It is not a technical item but usability.