[OpenIndiana-discuss] replacing an open solaris box

Nikola M. minikola at gmail.com
Sat May 25 06:43:14 UTC 2013

On 05/24/13 02:46 PM, Edward Ned Harvey (openindiana) wrote:
> [...]
And it is called illumos ;)

I am not sure about upgrading from 2008.11 to 2009.06 , since I started
with 2009.06 (not sure where to find 2009.06 IPS repository to upgrade to).
But since 2009.06(111b) one can upgrade, using Openindiana IPS
publishers(repositories)
to snv_134 (legacy opensolaris latest release publisher) and then to OI
151a7 that is latest released /dev .
For Firefox/TB, you might visit ftp.mozilla org for contributed Solaris
builds and use it from somewhere in /opt (plugins dir is now
/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins or ~/.mozilla/plugins), jou get Solaris Java,
too and Virtualbox install works, with some small tweaking during
install you might find on Wiki:
http://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/Upgrading+from+OpenSolaris
http://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/7.2+VirtualBox

If you are doing fresh-install of OI, I personally suggest installing
from OI 151a3 (because it is latest that makes fresh zpool version 28
and zfs version 5, for compatibility with other systems and S11.
And then update to newest OI.
Newer OI and all other BSD/Linux/OSX zfs implementations, all use ZFS
Feature flags, and that feature is not available in S11 and older
installs, so for time being I like to default to 28/5 zfs versions for
first install.

If one wants, after 151a7, one can make new BE (boot environment), make
it default (beadm activate) and upgrade it to OI HIPSTER rolling
release, if want to contribute to OI, or add packages to SFE
(spec-files-extra) publishers.

N.