[OpenIndiana-discuss] export pool at shutdown and import at boot up

Edward Ned Harvey (openindiana) openindiana at nedharvey.com
Tue May 28 00:25:02 UTC 2013

I have some external storage which isn't super reliable.  If I don't export it before shutdown, it will often cause the boot to fail, as it doesn't mount properly.

I would like to make that pool automatically export during shutdown, or somehow flag it so the system will never try to import or mount it during bootup.

My best idea is to write a smf wrapper around "zpool export" and "zpool import."  Is that the best way, or is there a better way, like setting some sort of pool property, or sticking a flag in some defaults file, or tweaking the zfs cache file or something?