[OpenIndiana-discuss] Moving ZFS pool between systems ?

Svavar Örn Eysteinsson svavar at fiton.is
Thu May 30 10:53:58 UTC 2013

Hi.

I have OpenIndiana oi_151a7 installed and running as a ZFS server.

I need to move the datapool, which is configured from 4x SATA disks
on the Internal SATA controller and 4x other SATA drives in a PCI-E AOC-USAS-L8i
controller card. (1068e chipset).

I'm planing to move the datapool to another server. I will also transfer the 1068e
controller card to the new server.

So my question, is it as simple as "zpool export datapool" on the orginal machine
and "zpool import" on the new one ?

I havn't decided yet which distro I'm using. OmniOS or OpenIndiana.
Is there any problem moving a pool from OpenIndiana, to OmniOS or any other
compatible system ? regarding feature-flags, zfs versions ?

Any tips would be much appreciated.

My current zfs version is :

root at server:~# zfs get version datapool
NAME      PROPERTY  VALUE    SOURCE
datapool  version   5        -

My Current zpool version information :

This system supports ZFS pool feature flags.

The following features are supported:

FEAT DESCRIPTION
async_destroy                         (read-only compatible)
     Destroy filesystems asynchronously.
empty_bpobj                           (read-only compatible)
     Snapshots use less space.

The following legacy versions are also supported:

VER  DESCRIPTION
---  --------------------------------------------------------
 1   Initial ZFS version
 2   Ditto blocks (replicated metadata)
 3   Hot spares and double parity RAID-Z
 4   zpool history
 5   Compression using the gzip algorithm
 6   bootfs pool property
 7   Separate intent log devices
 8   Delegated administration
 9   refquota and refreservation properties
 10  Cache devices
 11  Improved scrub performance
 12  Snapshot properties
 13  snapused property
 14  passthrough-x aclinherit
 15  user/group space accounting
 16  stmf property support
 17  Triple-parity RAID-Z
 18  Snapshot user holds
 19  Log device removal
 20  Compression using zle (zero-length encoding)
 21  Deduplication
 22  Received properties
 23  Slim ZIL
 24  System attributes
 25  Improved scrub stats
 26  Improved snapshot deletion performance
 27  Improved snapshot creation performance
 28  Multiple vdev replacements

Thanks allot !

Best regards,

Svavar - Reykjavik - Iceland