[OpenIndiana-discuss] shell script mutex locking or process signaling

Edward Ned Harvey (openindiana) openindiana at nedharvey.com
Fri May 31 11:15:22 UTC 2013

> From: Laurent Blume [mailto:laurent+oi at elanor.org]
>
> That's why I pointed out mine are in /tmp or /var/run - tmpfs, so it's
> guaranteed cleared on reboot, graceful or not :-)

The behavior of clearing out /tmp is a configurable feature, and the default varies by OS.  Some OSes clear it on every reboot, some clear it according to an aging schedule, some don't clear it.

I'm not sure what the default is for solaris / openindiana.  For the problem at hand (SMF service) obviously, it doesn't matter what the linux defaults are.   ;-)