[OpenIndiana-discuss] Firefox on OI 151a8 ???

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 6 22:10:03 UTC 2013

I'm seeing an apparent memory leak w/ 13 running hipster and some weird behavior w/ yahoo mail, but that's as likely to be yahoo as mozilla induced.

I'm currently running Firefox 13 which was what was available when I last did an update.  I can make little sense of what I find w/ google.  There are a slew of versions and what's available depends upon where you look.  Nothing to indicate a reason for choosing a particular version. I was not able to find anything on the OI wiki other than a broken link in the oi151a release notes pointing to:

http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/nightly/17.0.2esr-candidates/build2/contrib/solaris_tarball/firefox-17.0.2esr.en-US.opensolaris-i386.tar.bz2

The information returned by "pkg info firefox" is rather opaque and I've not found any way to find out what version the oi151a8 package contains.

I did find:

ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/17.0.9esr/contrib/solaris_pkgadd/

which  says it was done by Oracle's Beijing office.  It appears to be the most recent extended support release.  Though after reading about that I'm not sure it means much.

Does anyone have any recommendations?  Unfortunately I need to get java working.  I've been down this rabbit hole before and wound up giving up in hopes that things might become clearer if I waited a while.  So far as I can tell all that's changed is version numbers. My primary requirement is something that works reliably.

Thanks,
Reg