[OpenIndiana-discuss] Opinions on LSI RAID vs. ZFS

Stefan Müller-Wilken stefan.mueller-wilken at acando.de
Mon Nov 11 09:19:24 UTC 2013

Hi Peter,
hi list,

>> If you have a SAS controller attached via the mpt_sas driver, for
>> instance, you can absolutely expect hot plugged disks to go away and
>> return automatically.  If not, then you are experiencing bugs in the
>> system and should report them as such so that we can fix them.

>Absolutely. And, to return to the original question, the on-board
>SAS controllers on the T3-1 use mpt_sas, and hotplug just works.

>(I still use cfgadm, but as a way to toggle the LEDs if the system
>hasn't done so itself - such as when replacing a drive that is starting
>to go bad but hasn't failed hard yet.)

fist thing I noticed is that the T3-1 indeed works with 8 drives from
its internal SAS controller. Good! Now one thing I haven't managed to
do yet is using cfgadm to switch locator and fault LEDs.

# cfgadm -la
Ap_Id                          Type         Receptacle   Occupant     Condition
c2                             scsi-sas     connected    configured   unknown
c2::dsk/c2t6d0                 CD-ROM       connected    configured   unknown
c4                             scsi-sas     connected    configured   unknown
c4::w5000cca00a34873d,0        disk-path    connected    configured   unknown
c5                             scsi-sas     connected    configured   unknown
c5::w5000c5005f6fbadd,0        disk-path    connected    configured   unknown
c6                             scsi-sas     connected    configured   unknown
c6::w5000cca00a49aacd,0        disk-path    connected    configured   unknown
c7                             scsi-sas     connected    configured   unknown
c7::w5000cca00a372291,0        disk-path    connected    configured   unknown
c8                             scsi-sas     connected    unconfigured unknown
c9                             scsi-sas     connected    configured   unknown
c9::w5000cca00a372421,0        disk-path    connected    configured   unknown
c10                            scsi-sas     connected    configured   unknown
c10::w5000cca00a4909c5,0       disk-path    connected    configured   unknown
c11                            scsi-sas     connected    configured   unknown
c11::w5000cca00a49bdad,0       disk-path    connected    configured   unknown
c12                            scsi-sas     connected    configured   unknown
c12::w5000cca00a46586d,0       disk-path    connected    configured   unknown
c13                            scsi-sas     connected    unconfigured unknown
c14                            scsi-bus     connected    unconfigured unknown

# cfgadm -x locator c4::w5000cca00a34873d,0
cfgadm: Hardware specific failure: unavailable
#

Peter, could you share your knowledge on this? I always get the infamous
"cfgadm: Hardware specific failure: unavailable" message. What is the
proper command to send? TIA!

Cheers
 Stefan