[OpenIndiana-discuss] 2nd round - Bug 1204 zoneadm cannot create clone of zone from snapshot

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Thu Nov 14 23:07:39 UTC 2013

Hello all,

Second round with a more complete fix... might become my first RTI soon
if it gains enough "yay"'s ;)

https://www.illumos.org/issues/1204
https://www.illumos.org/attachments/download/1027/ips-clone.patch

Updated the patch. Now it supports cloning from a different zone boot
environment of the same zone by accepting the following values for "-s"
(snapshot):
1) *@* - such strings are interpreted as dataset at snapname, including an
    empty dataset part (only "@snapname" is then accepted for currently
    active source ZBE)
2) */* - such strings specify the dataset, of which a snapshot will be
    made and used automatically
3) * - any other strings specify the snapshot name, which should exist
    of the currently active source zone root

Sanity checks are done that the specified source dataset (if specified)
conforms to the naming and attributes of ZBE's, and is a ZBE of the
specified source zone, and that a snapshot (if specified) exists in the
selected source dataset.

Also added is a "-X" 'brand-specific argument' which allows to disable
"sys-unconfig" in the newly cloned zone. Sometimes admins and their
carefully prepared template zones know better ;)

I did not find the relevant manpages where these bits of information
could be added; but otherwise the task is tested and complete as far
as I am concerned.

HTH,
//Jim Klimov