[OpenIndiana-discuss] Missing "dladm show-dev"

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Fri Nov 15 17:34:16 UTC 2013

On 2013-11-15 17:54, Saso Kiselkov wrote:
> On 11/15/13, 4:51 PM, Jim Klimov wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>>    Back in Solaris 10 I used "dladm show-dev" to list the devices
>> (and more importantly bound drivers) for NICs. In Openindiana this
>> command seems not implemented, or possibly removed? What gives? :)
>
> Hi Jim,
>
> Don't know about "show-dev", but does "show-phys" not serve the purpose?
> (at least guessing from what you described above)

Yes, it does... but old scripts on new OSes complain and need some
hammering ;)

sol10-1# dladm show-dev
nge0            link: unknown   speed: 0     Mbps       duplex: unknown
nge1            link: unknown   speed: 0     Mbps       duplex: unknown
e1000g0         link: up        speed: 1000  Mbps       duplex: full
e1000g1         link: unknown   speed: 0     Mbps       duplex: half

sol10-2# dladm show-dev
e1000g0         link: up        speed: 1000  Mbps       duplex: full
e1000g1         link: up        speed: 1000  Mbps       duplex: full
e1000g2         link: up        speed: 1000  Mbps       duplex: full
e1000g3         link: unknown   speed: 0     Mbps       duplex: half
vboxnet0        link: unknown   speed: 0     Mbps       duplex: unknown

oi# dladm show-phys
LINK         MEDIA                STATE      SPEED  DUPLEX    DEVICE
e1000g2      Ethernet             unknown    0      half      e1000g2
e1000g0      Ethernet             up         1000   full      e1000g0
e1000g3      Ethernet             up         1000   full      e1000g3
e1000g1      Ethernet             unknown    0      half      e1000g1

The last two examples are from identical servers with different OSes.

And "dladm show-link" aggregates the different link types (as James
pointed out)...

I was just a bit annoyed at a new box which was expected to have Intel
gigabit NICs but refused to plumb "e1000g". Ultimately dladm reminded
me that "igb" is also in the business, and apparently this was some
slightly different revision of the server than those before it... and
even the cheat-sheet diagnostics failed with unknown-parameter stuff ;)

But thanks for reminding me anyway, and sorry for the noise :)
//Jim