[OpenIndiana-discuss] 10GigE vs Infiniband vs SCSI Target ...

Edward Ned Harvey (openindiana) openindiana at nedharvey.com
Mon Nov 18 12:35:16 UTC 2013

ZFS is great to manage backend storage in a SAN environment.  So then you're likely to use 10GigE, or Infiniband as the transport...

I only recently discovered SAS SFF-8088.  Gives you 4x 6Gbit buses yielding 24 Gbit with very low overhead, low cost.  A lot of performance for the buck.

I also recently discovered Linux has something called SCST, a driver of sorts, that turns some linux HBA into a scsi target.  Does openindiana have something similar?  It would sure beat the pants off 10GigE, and while Infiniband would still be faster, it would be very useful to do the scsi target thing for smaller systems...