[OpenIndiana-discuss] Local zones as SMF service instances

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Tue Nov 19 00:46:53 UTC 2013

On 2013-11-18 04:45, Jim Klimov wrote:
> Hello all,
>
>    If you were ever annoyed by having all zones starting and stopping
> as a wild herd on a stampede, while you want them to be orchestrated
> in a particular order? Then check this out:
>    http://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/Zones+as+SMF+services
>
>    This also works on OpenSolaris SXCE, and I haven't yet verified,
> but see no reason for it to fail on Solaris 10 or 11...

NOTE to the interested (if you're already trying this out): I updated
the zone.xml manifest today with expanded logic which should detect
if the previous attempt to stop this instance timed out and failed,
and in this case the method does "zoneadm halt" instead of graceful
"zlogin ... init 5".

It is possible that a zone would not shut down due to "init 5" for
some reason, and its "online" dependent service would block the "zones"
service from stopping upon system shutdown, for example.

While timeouts are by default disabled in this service, it makes some
sense to enable them (even if set to large values like 1800 seconds)
for the service or for some instances on particular installations.

Good luck,
//Jim