[OpenIndiana-discuss] spool replace says the disk has a different sector alignment

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 19 22:48:27 UTC 2013

It's probably the new drive, NOT the controller.  I ran into this when I RMAed a 3 TB HGST drive. The replacement had 4k sectors instead of the 512 byte sectors of the failed drive.  HGST was unable to supply a 512 sector disk.

Unfortunately, as far as I know you'll have to rebuild the entire pool.  I'd suggest buying new 4k sector disks for the new pool and keeping the old ones as spares for pools built with 512 sector disks.

You may need to add entries in sd.conf to notify the driver that the drives are 4k.  That seems to depend upon what the drives report to the driver.  Plan on this being tedious and time consuming.  You might get lucky, but it's best to be prepared.  I suggest being especially vigilant about backups until you've got it resolved.  Make sure you don't overwrite good ones with bad ones.

I *think* I wrote up everything I learned on the page Klimov created, but don't hesitate to ask if you have questions.  If you have to do the sd.conf bit make sure you read George Wilson's page linked from Klimov's page.

Good luck,
Reg