[OpenIndiana-discuss] Remote KVM, SOL, virtual media and power management on generic PCs

Marion Hakanson hakansom at ohsu.edu
Wed Nov 20 04:00:28 UTC 2013

jimklimov at cos.ru said:
> . . .
>    Are there any cheap (within approx $100) solutions for remote KVM, SOL,
> virtual media and power (reset, on/off) management on generic PCs? Something
> that the IPMI-enabled servers have, but usable with an ordinary PC, probably
> as a PCI (legacy PCI 2.2 or newer PCI-E) card that looks to the computer like
> a video card and USB hub with keyboard, mouse and storage, and optionally as
> a serial port for SOL emulation? Or some external box that would intercept
> the video output (DSUB15/DVI) and plug USB cables into the PC's inputs, and
> add the short-circuiting headers onto power and reset jumpers on the
> motherboard?
> . . .
>    I see that there are some solutions from SuperMicro AOC lineup, and ASUS
> as well (the said computer's Mobo is an ASUS P5B-Delixe/WiFi-AP) but I can't
> make out from the internet documentation whether these would work on generic
> desktop computers, or require some BMC, or some special connectors, or other
> components on the motherboard.
>
>    Any insights, or links to Amazon/eBay offers, are welcome :)

Hi Jim,

Sorry this is so delayed.  I see nobody has responded (at least, not
in the mailing-list archives).

At the price of $100, I think I'd be shopping for a replacement motherboard
that has an SOL-capable IPMI/BMC onboard, rather than trying to find something
external.  The cheapest external single-port KVM-over-IP things I've seen
(brief bit of Googling) are in the $200 price range, and those can't control
power without some additional hardware options.

Maybe you can find a surplus/used server motherboard that will fit into
the case you have, and work with the CPU/RAM, etc., with the BMC on it.
I'm not sure any of the below will have the capabilities you want, but
perhaps they will get you started:

http://ark.intel.com/products/46543/Intel-Server-Board-S3210SHLC
http://oemxs.us/shopping/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=30966
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-S3200SHV-Server-Board-LGA775-ATX-DDR2-Rack-Pedestal-Customer-Return-/380560938791