[OpenIndiana-discuss] Add Gnome to server install

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Fri Nov 22 09:55:44 UTC 2013

On 2013-11-22 10:03, Rainer Heilke wrote:
> Yep. Didn't work for me, as I need the system to boot right into a
> networking state. Like all of the NWAM documentation I found, I had to
> log in before the networking came up.

Do you need it to work hands-off, automagically after the first boot?

You can somewhat manage the system service profiles of the newly made
installation from the installer, though it may take a few attempts to
do so correctly. With the installed BE mounted (as /a), try these ways:

0) Set up NWAM the way you want in the LiveCD environment, including
a profile with static addressing, and copy the config files into your
installed BE (/a/etc/nwam/*). Maybe that would just work. If not...

1) reconfigure the service in the installed SMF repository:
:; echo "repository /a/etc/svc/repository.db
select network/physical:nwam
setprop general/enabled = false
select network/physical:default
setprop general/enabled = true
exit" | svccfg

2) If the service was not found in (1) as part of the repository,
it may be enabled at first boot via import of manifests, see under
/a/var/svc/manifests and /a/lib/svc/manifests for the files involved;
make backups and then adjustments to the XMLs ;)

3) Set an init-script (/a/etc/rc2.d/S01staticnet) that would do
the job as an "ugly hack". Unpretty brutal things are effective :)

#!/bin/sh
[ x"$1" = xstart -a ! -f /etc/.noFixNet ] && \
     svcadm disable -s network/physical:nwam && \
     svcadm enable -sr network/physical:default && \
     touch /etc/.noFixNet
### maybe do the ipadm tricks here as well?

If not ipadm, then precreate the old-school static-config files with
your config; maybe even protect them from first-boot automagic as
immutable:
:; cd /a/etc && /bin/chmod S+ci netmasks hostname.* resolv.conf \
    nsswitch.conf defaultrouter defaultdomain

I really hope that at least some of these would work for you,
or would push in the right direction ;)

//Jim