[OpenIndiana-discuss] Cleaning up local pkg cache...

Lou Picciano loupicciano at comcast.net
Fri Nov 22 17:27:06 UTC 2013

OI Friends,

Need some pro advice on managing the local pkg repository cache...

First, The Goal: Was to clean up vestigial pkg 'residue', stored in /var/pkg/cache, as part of a plan - partly to reduce consumed storage - but primarily to use our local pkg mirror as the reference copy for our installs. This cleanup of cache would have (should have?) gotten rid of all traces of repos no longer used; on this particular box, we'd only need call upon /dev and /hipster (plus, at completion, repos for our own Userland builds and custom builds)

So, first, did: pkg set-property flush-content-cache-on-success True.

Various documentation indicates that this should empty a local cache after one install/uninstall operation. This didn't seem to work as expected, so moved on to Step 2:

Much googlishness seems to suggest that deletion of the /var/pkg/cache directory altogether is quite safe. (I took the more conservative approach of renaming it in situ). After this, sure enough; pkg commands - I ran 'pkg verify' - reconstruct the /var/pkg/cache dir; looks good!

But from there, things go quickly off the rails!

We're now at a point that any pkg operation complains about not finding oi-experimental -- where is pkg referencing this? -- even though our publisher list has no hint of oi-experimental in it.

Anybody have any Best Practices documentation on this?

Lou Picciano