[OpenIndiana-discuss] Offtopic question to old SPARC users

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 23 14:08:27 UTC 2013

On Sat, 11/23/13, Jim Klimov <jimklimov at cos.ru> wrote:

 If we do manage to replace the NVRAM chip, I guess the
 eeprom settings
 (boot-devices and so on) would also need to be recovered?

You'll need to copy all that down, particularly the CPU ID if the software is locked to a particular host.  That should be done ASAP.  Without a software support contract that allows getting a new license key, if it loses the CPU ID the software is lost even if you get the system working.  Lots of vendors want all the back maintenance paid up to provide a new key.   So it can get too expensive to revive an old system which can in turn lead to all manner of pain and suffering for the admins.