[OpenIndiana-discuss] pkg only installing command-line tools

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Tue Nov 26 11:55:35 UTC 2013

On 2013-11-25 08:18, Stefan Müller-Wilken wrote:
> Morning Rainer,
>
> sorry to hear your understandable disappointment.  But I'd still be willing to help diagnosing the network problem if you'd share the output of nwamcfg, dladm et cetera.

I think I can somewhat confirm Rainer's problems with NWAM:
I've created an oi_151a8 installation in VirtualBox (for my
tests about split-root installation procedure), which is a
stock installation by the wizard with minimal "deviations"
(only the FS layout changes detailed in my Wiki article).

In particular, this VM has NWAM enabled without any explicit
configs (no static files created by me, no ipadm commands
before or after boot, on runs of GUI wizards for networking,
etc.) And after boot this VM regularly if not always comes
up with only the loopback interface enabled (for IPv4+IPv6),
and all SMF services are successfully online.

If I login at the console and "svcadm restart nwam", the
virtual e1000g0 interface becomes plumbed, and after some
10 sec or so "catches" the IP address and other settings
from my DHCP in the wifi/router appliance (the virtual NIC
is "bridged" in VirtualBox settings).

So yes, there is at least some problem in this department -
while the system is technically able to get the networking
with NWAM, it does not do so on boot. The virtual NIC is not
"hotplug" (AFAIK), i.e. it should not "appear" for the OS
only after the nwam service starts for the first time.

On another hand, an oi_151a8 which I installed a month ago
for my brother's home NAS (on a physical box) and which is
accessible to me only by internet through an SSH tunnel and
later openvpn (initiated from that box to my public server),
works surprisingly reliably with an all-auto config via
NWAM+DHCP. So... YMMV :-\

Hope these clues lead somewhere,
//Jim Klimov