[OpenIndiana-discuss] DELL T1700

Saso Kiselkov skiselkov.ml at gmail.com
Fri Nov 29 15:25:41 UTC 2013

On 11/29/13, 3:19 PM, Johan Hertz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am thinking about buying this in the small form factor version and
> running a illumos OS on it (OpenIndiana/SmartOS).
> http://i.dell.com/sites/doccontent/shared-content/data-sheets/en/Documents/Dell-Precision-T1700-Spec-Sheet.pdf
>

> I tried looking at the https://www.illumos.org/hcl/ to figure out if it
> would work but I don't know enough about hardware to make sense of it.
>
> Can anyone give me an idea if this is likely to work?
>
> The reason for all of this is that I want to get a dev machine that I
> can play around with. But it should also be power full enough to handle
> itself if I want to use it for more critical tasks in the future.
>
> Any help is much appreciated.

Looking at the data sheet it appears you could have trouble with:

1) AMD graphics (nVidia should work fine, check out the nVidia driver
   details for these particular cards)
2) USB 3.0 ports won't work
3) sound card might not work - Realtek crap, so driver support might be
   spotty at best

Chipset support for Intel C226 appears to be there (in Solaris 11.1, so
likely also in Illumos), so AHCI SATA ports should work okay:
http://www.supermicro.com/support/resources/OS/C226.cfm

Cheers,
--
Saso