[OpenIndiana-discuss] Opinions on LSI RAID vs. ZFS

Stefan Müller-Wilken stefan.mueller-wilken at acando.de
Tue Oct 8 19:20:40 UTC 2013

>The on-board SAS controller isn't externally facing, and not expecting
>hotswap drives.  Drive detection is performed by BIOS during POST.
>Dell optiplex, precision, and poweredge.  I have all 3 sitting in my
>basement right now, with SATA cables dangling out the chassis through
>holes I cut, in order to attach removable disks externally.  It all works
>but I have to power off the host while connecting/disconnecting drives.

>The poweredge server also has an HBA (basic SAS) with hotswappable drives
>on the front.  These do not require any poweroff to swap the drives, as the
>name suggests.

Well, at least in my case with both the HP DL380 and the Oracle T3-1 we're talking about server
cases with hot-swap drive bays. So, I wouldn't expect external connectors anyway. But as both
are in producition with literally hundreds of live users, the possibilty to swap drives in operation is crucial.
So, again, would the T3-1 onboard controller do that?

Cheers
 Stefan