[OpenIndiana-discuss] Opinions on LSI RAID vs. ZFS

Edward Ned Harvey (openindiana) openindiana at nedharvey.com
Wed Oct 9 13:41:17 UTC 2013

I think there's really only one answer for you:  You have to understand the limitations of each option, and make up your own mind based on what you care about.

You should definitely find a solution that handles the raid in ZFS instead of in hardware.  Due to data integrity capabilities of ZFS.

If you are forced to use a single volume raid-1 or raid-0 in hardware, be aware that your disks are likely not portable to another system, unless the other system has the same type of HBA.  For this reason, if your HBA supports JBOD, then JBOD is preferred.

With or without HBA, consider the hotplug capabilities of your system, and the red blinking light capabilities.