[OpenIndiana-discuss] Opinions on LSI RAID vs. ZFS

Peter Tribble peter.tribble at gmail.com
Thu Oct 10 08:32:05 UTC 2013

On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 9:01 AM, Joshua M. Clulow <josh at sysmgr.org> wrote:

> On 10 October 2013 00:18, Laurent Blume <laurent+oi at elanor.org> wrote:
> > Solaris and descendants are not hot-swap OS's. If you want to replace a
> > drive, you need to tell the system beforehand that you will remove a disk
> > with cfgadm, and depending on your HBA/driver combination, tell it again
> > after you put in a new disk with a combination of cfgadm/devfsadm.
>
> This is emphatically false.  Though the pestilence of cfgadm(1M) and
> the idea that device replacement is somehow advantageously manual had
> persisted inside Sun's walls until its untimely demise, SunOS itself
> is certainly capable of hot-plugging devices.
>
> If you have a SAS controller attached via the mpt_sas driver, for
> instance, you can absolutely expect hot plugged disks to go away and
> return automatically.  If not, then you are experiencing bugs in the
> system and should report them as such so that we can fix them.

Absolutely. And, to return to the original question, the on-board
SAS controllers on the T3-1 use mpt_sas, and hotplug just works.

(I still use cfgadm, but as a way to toggle the LEDs if the system
hasn't done so itself - such as when replacing a drive that is starting
to go bad but hasn't failed hard yet.)

--
-Peter Tribble