[OpenIndiana-discuss] Opinions on LSI RAID vs. ZFS

Laurent Blume laurent+oi at elanor.org
Thu Oct 10 14:13:35 UTC 2013

On 10/10/13 10:01, Joshua M. Clulow wrote:
> This is emphatically false.

It's good to see such enthusiasm.

However, all that crap has never, to my knowledge, been clearly
documented, so blaming it on the users is not exactly fair. Trial and
errors over years is what it took me, including dealing with such
beauties as the Sun x2100 whose SATA controller was *not* supported by
Solaris on release, then was, or the same mpt driver that would work
differently with SCSI HBAs or SAS HBAs.

If you can point me now to a single document that explains how to do it
in the correct way on SATA, mpt, mpt_sas, what have you, believe me, it
will be truly appreciated.

Saying then that SATA controllers are a special case is a bit like
saying that explosion engines for cars are a special case, isn't it?

Laurent