[OpenIndiana-discuss] additional workspaces in OI151a8?

Tim Mooney Tim.Mooney at ndsu.edu
Thu Oct 10 17:13:20 UTC 2013

All-

After using CDE and its predecessor for years, I'm adjusting pretty well
to OI151a8's graphical environment.  I have run into one problem that I'm
hoping someone on the list can help with, though.

I'm trying to bump the number of workspaces up from 4 to 8.  According to
the "Help" entry when you right click on the Workspace Switcher applet,
it should be as simple as changing a spinbox in the Workspace Switcher's
preferences -- except I don't see any spinbox there.

Knowing that the desktop environment is based on GNOME 2.x components, I
started looking at GConf, figuring the setting might be available there.
Using gconftool-2 and

 	sudo gconftool-2 -R / > /tmp/all-settings

I quickly found /apps/metacity/general/num_workspaces, which was defaulting
to 4.  I've now tried both

 	gconftool-2 --type int --set /apps/metacity/general/num_workspaces 8

and

 	sudo gconftool-2 --direct --config-source xml:readwrite:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults --type int --set /apps/metacity/general/num_workspaces 8

as described in the Oracle GConf docs:

 	http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19754-01/806-6878/6jfpqt2sv/index.html

and although subsequent uses of gconftool-2 --get show that the setting
has changed, the number of workspaces for the window manager has not.
Logging out and logging back in and even rebooting have not had any
affect.

I've also found settings for
/desktop/gnome/applications/window_manager/number_of_workspaces and
changed that as well, but still no joy.

Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,

Tim