[OpenIndiana-discuss] GRUB hangs on boot of N54L

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Thu Oct 17 08:54:28 UTC 2013

Hello all,

My brother is putting together an HP N54L server for use with OpenIndiana,
and got stuck with non-booting LiveUSB (OI 151a8 with GUI). He says that
the GRUB characters appear and the system is hung afterwards.

He had some problems with HDDs so I suggested he tries to boot without
any storage attached except the LiveUSB flash, and that he tries different
USB ports, and then we'd see if that works and which disk(s) if any break
the bootability... but still, am I by chance missing something simple due
to under-caffeination at a late hour? ;)

In short, what are other possible reasons for the LiveUSB boot to hang,
and workarounds for them?

Thanks,
//Jim