[OpenIndiana-discuss] [oi-dev] Studio future in OI (Re: )

Udo Grabowski (IMK) udo.grabowski at kit.edu
Sat Oct 19 13:02:45 UTC 2013

On 19/10/2013 10:43, Nikola M. wrote:
> On 10/14/13 11:41 AM, Udo Grabowski (IMK) wrote:
>>>
>>> I can't help thinking, what will happen to you when *Solaris* Studio
>>> stops
>>> working on *OpenIndiana*? Aren't you worried about that? I don't
>>> exactly see
>>> Oracle striving to maintain compatibility, and without source, it's
>>> bound to
>>> happen...
>>
>> Openindiana must keep binary compatibility to Oracle Solaris, otherwise
>> it will quickly be obsolete, as vendors of commercial software won't
>> compile their software for OI, but only for Solaris 11, and FOSS packages
>> There's no way to urge vendors to compile for OI instead of Oracle
>> Solaris 11, that's just unrealistic wishful thinking .... All of
>> this ABI compatibility arguing is for software you compile yourself,
>> and it won't work for existing binaries.
> If you ask it from vendor, why not. It seems possible to recompile?
>
> If you are forced to change platform because your vendor requires it, then
> it is a problem of why being locked to that particular vendor and why
> the business model depends on vendor/s and why you don't control the
> source code of the applications you use for a business, yourself?

You can live in your open source fairytale land, or admit that there
are problems to solve that can't be realistically repeated over and
over. Even the gcc-fortran guys are not able to write a good compiler,
so there's simply no other way than to buy one. And this problem occurs
for numerous other fields, if you are doing real-life work you HAVE TO
rely on commercial entities sometimes (and even Joyent, Nexenta, Dey,
etc., are commercial entities!). You can try hard not to, but it will
quickly exhaust all your resources.
And, if you didn't realize that by now, an OS is not just for running
that OS, but to do work on it (even other than developing that OS!).
And we are an entity that does not at all develop an OS or anything
for an OS or even anything for IT, but solely using computers to do
science.
Sometimes you computer guys are completely loosing track on
how and for what the good stuff you're developing is used, and
what requirements are arising from that usage.