[OpenIndiana-discuss] Good enterprise hardware

Edward Ned Harvey (openindiana) openindiana at nedharvey.com
Sat Oct 19 22:57:18 UTC 2013

I'm planning to build a ZFS storage server in the datacenter.  Mission critical storage for virtualization, requiring hardware support, 24/7, 4hr, sameday onsite.

I thought I was going with silicon mechanics, and just learned, that their 24/7 4hr sameday service is pointless - because they don't get parts to you.  You have to buy spare parts including memory and whatever else, but if something like a motherboard or CPU dies, you still have to ship it back to the depot.

My next thought is, obviously I can get some good hardware with good support from oracle.  But I'd like to know what other alternatives there are.

Recommendations?