[OpenIndiana-discuss] issue booting OpenIndiana 151.1.7

Predrag Zecevic [Unix Systems Administrator] predrag.zecevic at 2e-systems.com
Wed Oct 23 15:03:02 UTC 2013

Hi,

have you upgraded ESXi? or something similar?

Regards.

On 10/23/13 04:56 PM, Mika Anderson wrote:
> A couple of days ago, my server spontaneously? rebooted and now it is not
> able to boot properly.
>
> Some background:
> I'm running OpenIndiana in a VM under ESXi.  The host runs on a Supermicro
> board with a Xeon E3 and ECC ram.  There are two HBA controllers passed
> through: IBM M1015 flashed to LSI2008 IT and IBM BR10i flashed to LSI1068
> IT.
>
> The issue happened while I was deleting ~2000 small files on a cifs share
> from a Windows PC.  The delete operation was proceeding like normal until
> about 75% when it was unable to complete any more deletes.  After 30
> minutes or so, I logged into the ESXi to view the OI vm console.  It was at
> the boot selection screen.  I selected the most recent option (which is
> what it normally boots) and the system began to boot but shortly after, it
> rebooted.  This behaviour is consistent and reproducible.  Here's the last
> bit of info that the console was showing before this reboot:
> ffffff000fc7cf40 zfs:arc_get_data_buf+173 ()
> ffffff000fc7cf90 zfs:arc_buf_alloc+a2 ()
> ffffff000fc7d030 zfs:arc_read_nolock+149 ()
> ffffff000fc7d0d0 zfs:arc_read+79 ()
> ffffff000fc7d130 zfs:dsl_read+33 ()
> ffffff000fc7d1d0 zfs:traverse_prefetcher+115 ()
> ffffff000fc7d2c0 zfs:traverse_visitbp+18c ()
> ffffff000fc7d360 zfs.traverse_dnode+a3 ()
> ffffff000fc7d440 zfs:traverse_visitbp+5bb ()
> ffffff000fc7d520 zfs:traverse_visitbp+859 ()
> ffffff000fc7d600 zfs:traverse_visitbp+859 ()
> ffffff000fc7d6e0 zfs:traverse_visitbp+859 ()
> ffffff000fc7d7c0 zfs:traverse_visitbp+859 ()
> ffffff000fc7d8a0 zfs:traverse_visitbp+859 ()
> ffffff000fc7d980 zfs:traverse_visitbp+859 ()
> ffffff000fc7da20 zfs:traverse_dnode+a3 ()
> ffffff000fc7db00 zfs:traverse_visitbp+2c6 ()
> ffffff000fc7db90 zfs:traverse_prefetch_thread+ac ()
> ffffff000fc7dc20 genunix:taskq_d_thread+b1 ()
> ffffff000fc7dc30 unix:thread_start+8 ()
> syncing file systems... done
> skipping system dump - no dump device configured
> rebooting...
>
> Here's my troubleshooting steps so far:
> -at the boot menu, select the second to last option and boot.  This is a
> snapshot from several months ago of the system from before running a bunch
> of OI upgrades and rebuilding pools.  The system boots to the desktop and
> more or less works.  The problem is the snapshot is from before changes to
> the pools (including upgrading from v28 pools to feature flag pools).
>   After booting, it's looking for the old pool structure.
> -remove the passthrough HBA and boot the most recent snapshot.  OI boots to
> the desktop and zpool status reports the correct pool layout but of course
> all the drives are missing.
>
> So I'm not sure where to go next with troubleshooting.  If possible, I'd
> like to recover the pools with permissions and shares intact.  If I lose
> the permissions and shares, it's not too difficult to rebuild.  And worst
> case if I lose the pools, well at least all the important stuff is backed
> [...]

Predrag Zečević, Technical Support Analyst, 2e Systems GmbH

Telephone: +49 6196 9505 815, Facsimile: +49 6196 9505 894
Mobile:    +49  174 3109 288,     Skype: predrag.zecevic
E-mail:    predrag.zecevic at 2e-systems.com

Headquarter:          2e Systems GmbH, Königsteiner Str. 87,
                       65812 Bad Soden am Taunus, Germany
Company registration: Amtsgericht Königstein (Germany), HRB 7303
Managing director:    Phil Douglas

http://www.2e-systems.com/ - Making your business fly!

Iowa State -- the high school after high school! -- Crow T. Robot