[OpenIndiana-discuss] Create a zfs clone that includes origin snapshot?

Lucas Van Tol catseyev9 at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 3 22:01:21 UTC 2013

I was trying to do this for something with zfs send/receive (I wanted to receive a newer zfs snapshot onto a clone of a copied filesystem, without doing any rollbacks.).
I.E I have 2 copies of a filesystem with snapshots in common, on different servers.   I want to receive something from server2, but not rollback to the shared snapshot.

I ended up messing around promoted clones and
zfs send -I promotedclone at snapshot1 originalfs at snapshot2| zfs receive newclone
which produced a clone containing @snapshot2 (so I could do zfs send -i/receive to the clone based on @snapshot2 ,although not @snapshot1, which worked fine but used some extra space for the extra snapshot)

Is there a proper way to 'zfs clone   filesystem at snapshot  clone' and have 'clone at snapshot' available?

Incidentally, is that zfs send -I thing supposed to happen?   I didn't see any documentation for that anywhere, although it sort of did what I wanted in the end.

-Lucas Van Tol