[OpenIndiana-discuss] Moving /var and/or /usr to own zfs filesystem

Christopher X. Candreva chris at westnet.com
Wed Sep 4 23:33:24 UTC 2013

On Thu, 5 Sep 2013, Jim Klimov wrote:

> > here is the output of df:
> >
> > chris at Jubal:~$ df -h
> > Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
> > rpool/ROOT/openindiana
> >                        134G  2.1G  132G   2% /
> > rpool/ROOT/openindiana/var
> >                        132G  400M  132G   1% /var
>
> okay, so this part seems to be a pretty standard split, probably helped
> by the setup wizard? I think it supports making separate /var datasets.

As far as I remember I split if off by hand myself, after installing. The
thing is, it doesn't work on the new mahcine I'm trying that on.

However, you may have just convinced me NOT to. I have to admit, I'm
essentially comming from Solaris 8 (I've run some 10 machines, but not used
zfs extensives and haven't used Zones at all). However I think I finally
understand what boot environments do, why the filesystems are
consolidated, and what package management has to do with it.

> What sort of software do you have in /usr/local? If it is packaged
> (home-brewn, or from collections like SunFreeware), this should really
> be part of the root filesystem (fs-tree as of now) and ultimately it
> is individual for each BE managed by packaging and beadm.

/usr/local is historically anything I've compiled. Until now I've just done
configure && make && make install ,  but plan to use IPS on these new
machines, and I now see why having usr/local on the same filesystem may be a
good idea.   ZFS changes so many assumptions. The good thing is, it also
makes it easy to split things off later if it looks like a good idea.

Can zones be easily copied to other machines, like VM images ?