[OpenIndiana-discuss] [developer] Re: Install OpenIndiana in an UFS root

wessels wessels147 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 10 14:37:29 UTC 2013

@Jim
Shared storage is indeed another interesting point. I don't completely
follow what you do with your ESX datastores. VMFS is a clustered FS. ESX
doesn't provide any redundancy. Their VMFS best pratices recommend that you
should use one VMFS datastore per lun. So all blades running ESX and
sharing a single lun containing VMFS exposed by the controllers in the same
chassis, I can follow. And with storage vMotion you could transfer all vm's
to another chassis in case you want to service the chassis. But I don't
really understand your setup.

There's no magic solution which covers all problems. ESXi is a wonderful
product and certainly earned it's place. But it's not best solution for all
problems, like massive scale out apps. ESXi and VMFS have real scalability
limits, like max 32 hosts per VMFS. I can run way more app instances in
zones than ESXi  using vm's on an identical machine.
But not everybody has such use case. For most business, with some AD
controllers, Exchange, Sharepoint, CRM and ERP vm's, a hypervisor like
vSphere is the solution.

The lack of a (redundant) distributed (ZFS based) FS in Illumos is too bad.
Lustre is working on a ZFS based version.  But I can't build nor afford the
development costs of such FS, so no whining from me. We simply work around
that and distribute data in other ways. Don't put too much trust in TCP/IP
either, remember this one: http://status.aws.amazon.com/s3-20080720.html .
If memory serves me right the corrupted packed matched it's weak checksum
causing the massive outage.