[OpenIndiana-discuss] Moving /var and/or /usr to own zfs filesystem

Ben Taylor bentaylor.solx86 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 10 16:31:23 UTC 2013

I really can't see the wisdom of splitting out /usr from / on a ZFS file
system.  I had an open bug with Sun in 2009 regarding the separate /var
partition, and we went months arguing with support regarding whether or not
that was a supported configuration.

The main issue was that single user and failsafe modes were not mounting
/var, which made problems with the system difficult to debug when requiring
single user mode or failsafe mode.   The obvious argument for this config
was that logfiles are in /var, so /var being available in single user or
failsafe was really required for debugging.  Since mounting /var in
failsafe or single-user required me to changes the ZFS config, it also
created complications if I didn't reset the /var ZFS config.

Eventually, support finally relented, and the bug was fixed.

My point being is that, a separate /usr ZFS file system has had no support
or testing for this type of configuration.

Ben