[OpenIndiana-discuss] funky beginer questions

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Wed Sep 11 14:40:45 UTC 2013

"Udo Grabowski (IMK)" <udo.grabowski at kit.edu> writes:

[...]

Harry wrote:
>> So you'd need to send/receive all seven then, eh?  Or is there
>> something like the -p operator to 'zfs create -p [...]' that can be
>> invoked to allow you to send/receive the whole batch in one go?

Udo replied:
> You can always do a 'zfs snapshot -r ...' and a 'zfs send -r .....'
> or even -R to send all snaps in one go.

Nice.  I hadn't noticed that yet.  But even then, if follow the use of
-R in relation to send, it appears the -R flag pulls everything behind
the targeted snapshot.

So in the example where each level has a .zfs directory:
 /rmh/host1/someproj/Acollection
 /rmh/host2/someproj/Acollection

A snapshot send with -R flag from:

   /rmh/host1/someproj/Acollection/.zfs <HERE
and from:
   /rmh/host2/someproj/Acollection/.zfs <HERE

Would be required to get the whole thing sent... Is that right?