[OpenIndiana-discuss] oi-151a8 JDS menus and launcher gone

Bill Sommerfeld sommerfeld at hamachi.org
Sat Sep 14 04:22:36 UTC 2013

On 09/13/13 15:38, Udo Grabowski (IMK) wrote:
> I know why you cannot reproduce the problem: You probably
> have role Administrator. Checked that, works with admin role,
> but not without.

I think you mean you have a *rights profile* of Primary Administrator?

I've been seeing this problem on true a8 (didn't see it in the dev-test
a8).  I ran

# usermod -P "Primary Administrator" sommerfeld

and logged out and logged back in and *poof* the menus and panel
launchers were all back.  Of course, running with Primary Administrator
all the time is a security accident waiting to happen (which is why it
was turned off in opensolaris shortly before it went dark..).

Possibly related - one difference I noticed in trussing gnome-panel
between the broken and working config was that in current a8, it was
doing a bunch of door_calls to nscd apparently doing RBAC profile
lookups; the version which worked didn't do all those door_calls ...

Hope this helps with the diagnosis.

						- Bill