[OpenIndiana-discuss] Group Membership Limitation

andre at ak47.co.za andre at ak47.co.za
Mon Sep 16 07:08:39 UTC 2013

I got this fixed by increasing the group membership in /etc/system

set ngroups_max=32

After rebooting everything worked as expected.

I did check my version of Samba and I am also on v3.5.21. This is not
a Samba related issue however. This is a limitation of the operating
system itself as winbind has to map the AD users and groups back to the
local OS and since the OS only supports 16 groups, you get the error.
This is a very old bug. Is there any way of fixing this in upcoming
releases?

On 2013-09-13 16:03, Jonathan Adams wrote:

> Doesn't
really help you I guess, but I get around this by sticking to the

latest 3.5 version of samba.

> manrecserver# /opt/samba/bin/testparm
-V
> Version 3.5.21
>
> (well it was the latest at the time I compiled
it)

> ./configure --prefix=/opt/samba3 --with-ldap
--with-aio-support
> --with-acl-support LDFLAGS=-R/opt/samba3/lib
--without-winbind