[OpenIndiana-discuss] OpenIndiana-discuss Digest, Vol 38, Issue 31

Sebastian Gabler sequoiamobil at gmx.net
Thu Sep 26 08:13:14 UTC 2013

Basically, there are two mechanisms supported:

1. anonymous access using the guestok=true parameter in zfs
2. mapping user ids using idmap.

The former is simple, the latter not so much. You need to decide which
path you want to follow. It could be that narrowing down the use case
also helps the discussion.
Most of the how-tos I am aware of are based on using the Solaris CIFS
server instead of SAMBA. I am using that, too. Some say it's basically
the same, but I can't witness on that because I only use CIFS .

For a how-to using anonymous access using CIFS, see i.e.
https://blogs.oracle.com/timthomas/entry/solaris_cifs_in_workgroup_mode

A thing that should be fundamentally clear is that if you mind about
access rights, you will either have to make your file server familiar
with identities from other domains (i.e. computers). This is usually
done using idmap.

Another basic prerequisite is that name resolution is working properly
and consistently on server and client. That is specifically true for a
configuration with mapped ids.

Best regards,

Sebastian