[OpenIndiana-discuss] 'less' Esc sequences in peldoc output

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Fri Apr 4 03:38:05 UTC 2014

Alexander Pyhalov <alp at rsu.ru> writes:

[...]

> Hello.
> A bit of googling gives
>
> export PERLDOC_PAGER='less -r'

I was too hasty in my response.  I said it had no effect for me.  And
that it is true the line above does not help here.

However, if I apply your tip to PAGER instead of PERLDOC_PAGER then it
clears things right up.

PAGER was already set to 'less -ins' .  I don't recall now where I got
that bit of advice.

But changing it to `export "PAGER=less -rins"'  has cleared things
right up.

Apparently the -r makes less display control char as 'raw' control
char, and somehow that makes the display work.