[OpenIndiana-discuss] 'less' Esc sequences in peldoc output

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Fri Apr 4 03:44:08 UTC 2014

James Carlson <carlsonj at workingcode.com> writes:

> On 04/03/14 14:28, Harry Putnam wrote:
>> ESC[1mNAMEESC[0m
>>      Cwd − get pathname of current working directory
>
> At a guess, your TERM setting doesn't match the actual terminal emulator
> you're using.
>
> There are many terminal emulators around -- including an extended vt102
> emulator built into xterm, emulators built into various Windows
> applications, and so on.  It would help if you could provide precise
> details on how you're connecting *to* your system and how you're
> displaying the results.

It appears that Alexander P has provided the help needed... adding -r
to less switches.

I'm logged in at the oi terminal

My emulater is /usr/bin/xterm

  echo $TERM
  xterm

> I would expect you get different results depending on how you connect
> (e.g., Putty on Windows versus actual OI console running an xterm).

Thanks for the helpful input... yes I should have known to include
info about the terminal.

Yes, the first two you mention and including ssh from linux running
xterm, all work as expected... that is, no control char in perldoc
output.

It was only logged in at oi terminal running X and xterm, that showed
the problem.

Now apparently cured by adding -r switch to less.

However, it was not the variable PERLDOC_PAGER that did the trick but the
variable PAGER is where applying -r to less did the job.