[OpenIndiana-discuss] how to release OS disk space?

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Fri Apr 4 08:02:32 UTC 2014

On 2014-04-04 09:52, Dang Zhiqiang wrote:
>>> yes, rpool1 is rather very small, It's a small DOM.
>>> but two week ago, I have more than 800M free space, and I only test
>>> heartbeat, not create any other files.

Did you try the basic Unix tools such as "du"? I.e.

:; du -ks /* /usr/* /var/* /opt/*

You might also try "find / -type f" with "-newer $referencefile" or
just "-mtime $days" to see what files have changed recently.

In your case I'd expect that something in /var/* gets filled up, such
as logs, crash or cores. Or maybe the pkg cache pulled something in...

Finally, it may be possible that swap and/or dump got some blocks
allocated, which would show up as space usage in the pool. However,
due to default reservations, that space would not have been previously
seen as available for other datasets (with "df" or "zfs list") anyway.

> # zfs list -t all rpool1
> NAME     USED  AVAIL  REFER  MOUNTPOINT
> rpool1  3.34G   324M  45.5K  /rpool1

You probably wanted to show us "zfs list -t all -r rpool1" (note "-r")?
Here you provided only the root dataset node, which is basically empty
(with only a few files for boot configuration).

HTH,
//Jim